The Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Principals recognize the value of education in developing the marketable skills necessary for building a happy and fulfilling life. The Legacy Fund also recognizes the potential of readily available and inexpensive online courses for learning important skills and building a resume conducive to professional success. The Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Career Accelerator Micro-Scholarship Program has been introduced to help individuals recovering from substance abuse addiction to fulfill individual professional development goals. The Career Accelerator Program will pay for career-oriented, self-paced online education courses. Funds may also be allocated for necessary learning materials. Career Accelerator Micro-Scholarship recipients are welcome to request career development advice and resume help from the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund.
Policy #1: No payments made by the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Career Accelerator Micro-Scholarship Program will be payable directly to the grant recipient. All payments will be made directly from the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund to the appropriate online education institution, school or vendor.
Eligibility: Individuals between the ages of 18 and 30 who are American citizens, engaged in recovery and are active in a recovery program are eligible to receive a micro-scholarship under the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Career Accelerator Micro-Scholarship Program.
Basis for Selection: Each application will be evaluated based on its completeness in terms of items 1-9 below and generally in terms of how the requested assistance is likely to contribute to overall recovery and fulfillment with career and family.
Privacy: Applicant information will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Applications are kept in hardcopy form and will be destroyed after the grant is made with the exception of name, address, amount and purpose of grant which will be kept for tax purposes.
How to Apply: Those wishing to apply for a micro-scholarship under the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Career Accelerator Micro-Scholarship Program must apply by U.S. mail with the following information:
1. Indicate their desire to apply for a Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Friends Micro-Scholarship
2. Provide their name, age, sex, phone number, e-mail and mailing address
3. Specify whether they rent, live with family or own their own home
4. Provide one paragraph describing their substance abuse history to include the substance and all rehabilitation efforts. Current participation in a recovery program is required.
5. Indicate whether history includes legal issues related to substance abuse.
6. Provide at least one paragraph on the specific online class or selection of classes that the scholarship would support. Indicate whether you have any past experience or interest with the subject. Indicate whether the class(es) are self-paced; Indicate whether the classes offer a certificate of completion; Indicate whether any additional materials would be required; Indicate what your next steps in professional development or education would be and your near term career objectives.
7. Indicate the requested scholarship amount and what organization offers the online course (include course-specific URL) Please be advised of our Policy #1. Grant amounts range between $50 and $300 dollars.
8. The Applicant will acknowledge that the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Administrators will retain the right to verify all information relating to the grant request including verification of the payee prior to making a grant. It will likely be necessary to verify parts of the application with rehabilitation counselors or sponsors, etc. The Applicant should grant their permission to their counselors or sponsors to speak with the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund about the Applicant's progress and overall attitude towards recovery.
9. Include the name and contact information for the Applicant's current rehabilitation counselor or sponsor.
All applications are mailed to:
The J. A. Hekimian Legacy Fund
c/o Friends Career Accelerator Program
P.O. Box 1292
Germantown, MD 20875-1292
What to Expect: Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Administrators may need to contact micro-scholarship applicants by phone or e-mail in order to clarify elements of the grant application. Notification of application status will occur within 4 weeks of receipt of the complete application package. Successful applications will be subject to grant award within 60 days of acceptance.
Refer Someone: Referrals to the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Micro-Scholarship Program occur through the following means:
- Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Ambassadors
- Community Recovery Centers
- Religious and Educational Institutions
- Community Social Organizations
Currently, applications will also be accepted directly from Career Accelerator Micro-Scholarship Applicants when mailed to the address given above.